The 2018 CFC has been extended! On Jan. 15, the Office of Personnel Management’s Acting Director approved an extension of the 2018 Combined Federal Campaign. A final end date has yet to be determined and is subject to restoration of the partial lapse in appropriations.
In the meantime, we encourage all of our CFC-supported charities to continue reaching out to potential donors for monetary and volunteer pledges. There are a number of ways you can encourage the federal community to consider making a donation while the portal remains open! Here are a few ways to spread the word about the 2018 CFC extension:
Emphasize that this is an extended opportunity to give back to those near and far; even if they’ve already given, they can make another or increase their pledge. If your charity provides assistance to furloughed federal employees, point out that need is greater than ever, and share ways in which your charity supports the federal community. Most importantly, remember to thank your supporters as you reach out about the CFC.
Please note: currently the deadline to apply to participate in the 2019 CFC remains as: Jan. 31, 2019. Apply now.
Thank you for choosing to Show Some Love and participate in the 2018 Combined Federal Campaign (CFC). Your work empowers and inspires the generosity of the Federal community, and together we can have an even greater impact.
The CFC is one of the largest and most successful annual workplace campaigns, raising millions of dollars each year for organizations like yours. As the only authorized charitable solicitation of employees in the federal workplace, the CFC offers access to a critical source of unrestricted funds for participating nonprofits and an inexpensive way to attract new donors.
Information shared by your organization educates donors and helps them understand the importance of the CFC to participating charities. We look forward to working with you to attend campaign events and hope the following information is helpful as you plan for the upcoming campaign.
For more information about participating in the 2018 CFC Campaign, download the Charity Outreach Briefing.
BEFORE PARTICIPATING IN EVENTS...
Before you can participate in Greater New York CFC area campaign events, a leader in your organization must carefully read and agree to the Event Guidelines. The Guidelines have been set forth to administer the CFC fairly and equitably for all charities within the campaign. You must update your profile using the link provided via email to verify that your organization has read and agrees to abide by the Guidelines and understands that failure to comply could affect your organization's future participation in events. If you did not receive an email inviting you to register to participate in campaign events, sign up here or send us a Help Desk request.
RULES FOR EVENT PARTICIPATION
Throughout the campaign, charities may have an opportunity to meet directly with campaign leaders and federal employees. As you pursue these opportunities through charity fairs and speaking engagements, follow the guidelines set forth by the CFC to help make the most of your time with these potential donors.
- Charity representatives participating in CFC events should:
- Sign event authorization forms with all zones in which they plan to attend campaign functions.
- Attend only events to which the organization has been invited.
- Promote overall participation in the campaign, not only their organization, especially at speaking events.
- Greet, receive, and thank all people with respect, dignity, and enthusiasm.
- Use only the display area allotted, understanding that it may be necessary to share table space with other organizations.
- Follow all instructions provided by event organizers.
- Dress and act in a professional manner.
- The sale of promotional items or collection of names or funds at CFC events is strictly prohibited. Promotional items of nominal value may be distributed.
TIPS FOR DONOR ENGAGEMENT
Attending Combined Federal Campaign (CFC) events is just one way to reach the federal community. Engage potential donors by incorporating these tips into your marketing and outreach strategies:
- Print your 5-digit CFC code on all of your materials and display it prominently on your website.
- Use the Show Some Love theme in your own promotional efforts. For example, you could include something on your home page or in an e-newsletter that says, “Show Some Love to [charity mission] by giving to [charity name] through the CFC. Our designation number is [5-digit CFC code].”
- Make the ask. During the campaign, ask any known supporters who are federal employees/retirees to give to your charity through the CFC.
- Promote opportunities for federal employees to donate their time and talent as part of the new volunteerism component of the campaign.
- Incorporate messaging specific to retirees—a new donor audience as of 2017—in your communications strategies. Ensure they are aware that they can support your organization by once again making a donation through the CFC.
- Talk about the ability to give through payroll deduction, which enables donors to give a little bit each pay period, adding to a significant contribution at the end of the year.
- Encourage your supporters to educate their co-workers about your organization so that they too can direct their donation to further your mission.
2018 VIRTUAL CHARITY FAIR
In the 2018 CFC, we are inviting federations, independent, and local charities to participate in our Virtual Charity Fair to reach more CFC donors.
All you have to do is register and submit a WCAG-compliant video (click here to see the requirements) about your organization that is no longer than 60 seconds here: http://cfc-portal.charity.org/users/portal_invite/PcV1-0ViOOlpcMHKNr6gCg/#/. Only one video will be permitted per charity. Once submitted, your video will be reviewed and posted on a website organized by cause area for federal employees to view. Our goal is to inspire federal employees with a gallery of videos to check out, helping them connect with charities working in the areas for which they are passionate.
The deadline for submitting your video is November 30, 2018.
- Utilize social media to promote designations to your charity through the CFC. Be sure to include your 5-digit code, tag your local CFC zone, and include the hashtag #ShowSomeLoveCFC.
- Share your success stories, photos, and videos on your social media channels and websites, in donor communications, and with local CFCs so that they may also promote your great work.
- Target earned and paid media to the federal audience through pitching and advertising.